Applying for a Grant

You should be able to pick up an application form from your local housing office or download one from your council's website. Before you fill in the form, you will need to have a clear idea of what works are necessary, as you will need to include plans and estimated costs and a copy of any housing needs assessment from the Occupational Therapist. Your Occupational Therapist should be able to guide you through the grants applications process in terms of the evidence you need to provide.

You may also need to provide information about your financial circumstances (for example, your income and any savings you have), and the financial circumstances of your husband, wife or civil partner and anyone else who lives with you, or will be living with you when the work is done.

The council may ask you to provide further information, to back up the information on the form. It is important that you supply this within the time specified because otherwise the council will not consider your application for funding. You can get help completing the form from the council or from advice centres.

Most structural adaptations to meet the needs of a disabled person attract "mandatory grant" - this means that the council must give a grant as long as you have been assessed as having a priority need for this type of work. Where the council is awarding a mandatory grant, this must cover 80% of the actual cost of the work you have been assessed as needing.

You will get 100% of the approved expense if you or anyone else in your household receives any of the following benefits:

• Income Support

• Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

• The guarantee element of Pension Credit, or

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

Video transcript:


Share this