Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you are a homeowner and you get certain income-related benefits, you may qualify for help towards your housing costs, which includes mortgage interest payments and certain other home owner costs such as common repair charges levied by a factor. The help with mortgage interest is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) and is usually paid direct to the lender.

To qualify for help with home owner's housing costs (including SMI) you must get one of the following benefits:

• Income Support (IS)

• Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (ibJSA)

• Employment and Support Allowance (irESA)

• Pension Credit (PC)

SMI can help you pay all or part of the interest on your mortgage payments but it will not help you pay off the capital of your mortgage. You may also be able to get SMI to help pay the interest on loans you took out for essential repairs or improvements to your home including adaptations.

SMI cannot be used to pay off the capital amount you borrowed, anything towards insurance policies you have (such as endowment premiums) or mortgage arrears. When you apply for one of the benefits in the list above you will need to include information about your mortgage and housing costs in order to get the extra payments. You will have to provide proof of your income, details of your financial situation and any related paperwork. Your lender will have to complete some of the forms confirming the details of your loan. If you are already receiving these benefits but are not getting any help towards your housing costs, contact your local Jobcentre Plus office and ask them to send you a form.


Video transcript:


Share this