Social Work Assessment

If your home does not meet your needs you should ask your local authority for an assessment of your needs. This will be carried out by the social work department, most often by an Occupational Therapist. The assessment should include a full investigation into your needs and the needs of other people in your houseshold, the supply or loan of useful equipment to help with daily living, such as ramps, stair lifts, and bath seats should be considered in addition to assessment of any adaptations necessary to improve your independence. After careful consideration it may turn out that you do not need to get any structural changes to the house after all.

As well as making recommendations on what is needed, the assessment will also indicate whether your needs are a priority, that is, how urgently you need the adaptations, and whether they are essential at this stage. The council will use this to determine how long you might have to wait for assistance.

You may be offered equipment instead of a structural alteration. Make sure that you discuss your requirements fully with the Occupational Therapist and ask your own doctor's advice or speak to someone else whose judgement you value. If you are not happy with the assessment you should consider making a formal complaint. You may have to consider moving house. This will not be an easy or quick option but it may be necessary if, for example, your present house cannot be adapted at reasonable cost.

Video transcript:


Share this