Claiming Housing Benefit

If you want to claim Housing Benefit you should contact your local authority's Housing Benefit office and ask for a claim form. You may also be able to claim by telephone or online. Ask at the local authority's Housing Benefit office or check the local authority's website if you want to find out about different ways of claiming.

If you are claiming one of the DWP "passport benefits", i.e. income related ESA, income based JSA, income support, or the guarantee credit element of pension credit, you can make your claim for housing benefit while making your claim for the DWP benefit. The local authority may still ask you to complete a separate housing benefit form in that situation.

Video transcript:


Share this